According to the United States Department of Health and Human Services, about 50 million Americans are currently living without any form of health insurance. Many of this uninsured citizens make use of the emergency rooms to cater for their health needs since the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) allows the hospitals to provide immediate healthcare treatment to patients in emergencies.
Living without any form of health insurance leaves individuals at very high risk for both health and financial difficulties. Insurance premiums are high in the most case which makes people or individuals not to opt for a good and profitable health insurance policy, loss of a job can also be an underlying factor as to why they choose not to have any health insurance policies. A health insurance market place is regarded as a new way of finding quality health coverage. There are still avenues where uninsured people can also benefit when it comes to covering health care costs. Below are a few options you might consider exploring:
1. Negotiate costs: Health care procedures usually come with a high price tag, even office visits for checkups are very expensive if you earn a limited income. Negotiating the cost of such ventures with your health care provider can help save you so much money especially if you are paying in cash.
2. Federally funded clinics: There are numerous federally funded clinics nationwide who attend to patients or clients who can’t pay their bills or do not have any form of health insurance. The clinics provide preventive care, maternity care, immunizations as well as treatments for illnesses for just a fee that you are asked to pay depending on your income for affordable health care options.
3. Children’s insurance: The children’s health insurance program or CHIP as it is fondly called, offers patients low-cost health care coverage for children that are in low-income fami8lkies. The guidelines for income that CHIP offer is far higher than Medicaid by so doing allows the qualification of more families in the scheme. The program is enforced by both the federal and state governments with specific guidelines been set by the States for the program.
4. Medicaid: Medicaid just like the children’s health insurance, CHIP, is also a joint program organized by both the federal and state governments which offer health care to low-income individuals who must, first of all, meet specific eligibility requirements. Pregnant women, children as well as those living with disabilities who have managed to meet the criteria and income guidelines are automatically qualified for Medicaid. The states run their own different Medicaid programs, and there are also responsible for stating and making eligibility requirements.
5. Individual policies: Individual policies are suitable for people who do not have group insurance to purchase. A temporary own health insurance plan provides short-term coverage for significant medical expenses. The premium individual policy health insurance is much lower than a regular insurance policy. Health savings accounts or HSAs, also offer affordable options for those without insurance. The HAS is a good option for individuals to protect their self from expenses that may occur with major medical events.
6. Shop for doctors, urgent cares and hospital: There are over a ton of different hospitals that charge very differently for visits. You might decide to call around and find out the average fee for an appointment with the doctor before you fall ill so that you can know which hospital is least expensive. The hospitals might also have different procedures as well.
7. Direct primary care providers (DPCP): A vast majority of those that are uninsured find the direct primary care providers (DPCP) to be far cheaper than other resources. DPCP’ charge their patients a low monthly fee which in exchange they receive unlimited office appointments with primary care physicians. DPCP’s don’t pay for medications or even lab tests, but they can only offer discounts when you undergo such assessments in the hospital.
For one to decide to go without healthcare insurance is not an easy endeavor but not to worry much, you still can access affordable medical care. There is a multitude of avenues one can check to know their options for insurance.